Malcolm is the Vicar of St Mary’s, Walsgrave having been there since 1991. A long term Governor of Walsgrave School, he was Chair at its first ever OFSTED and has seen the school go from strength to strength over the years. He is keen for all people to be comfortable in their own skin, valued both by themselves and the society around them and sees schooling as an important and integral part of the learning process to become an adult. He values the creativity and openness of children and often marvels at their ability to accept the complexity of the world around them. Before ordination Malcolm used his Maths and Economics degree to work as a government statistician and then studied theology at Cambridge University. He came to Coventry in 1991.
Outside of his role as Governor Malcolm is a Spiritual Director and has a significant role in the diocese and nationally in the selection of ordination candidates.
• Mathematics degree from Manchester University
• Teaching career from 1961 and came to Coventry in 1972 where I spent 25 years at Blue Coat CE School, initially as Head of Mathematics and then appointed Deputy Head in 1977
• I retired from teaching in 1997 and became a DBE member and have recently stepped down as vice-chair.
• I have been involved with school governance since 1997 in a variety of settings and I am currently vice-chair at St John’s CE Academy
• I represent the DBE on both Coventry and Warwickshire School Forums, and I continue to chair Coventry Schools Forum which I have done for many years
• I also represent the DBE as a co-opted member on Coventry City Council’s Education & Children’s Services Scrutiny Board 2
• I am a member of the Cathedral Community and regularly worship there
– Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Personal Development – CIPD gained at Coventry University – 2005
– Extensive recruitment experience gained in the private and public sector recruiting at a senior level for global organisations including finance, property, arts and leisure industries.
– A wealth of HR experience has been gained in the private and public sector. I have worked within the education arena in HR for 14 years, which has included developing policies and procedures for schools.
– Co-opted Governor at Hearsall Community Primary School for three years responsible for pupil premium and sports premium.
– Currently employed by the University of Warwick in a HR capacity concentrating on operational HR for academic and professional support staff.
Joined the Education Department of Warwickshire County Council as Head of Education Planning. In 2006 he was appointed to lead on Schools and Education within the new Directorate of Children and Young People, a post he held until his retirement from the County Council in December 2012.
Was for a short time Interim Chief Executive of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Warwickshire.
Was for a number of years a Governor and Chair of Governors of a non-maintained special school for the deaf, and is currently a Trustee of a Youth and Community Centre in Rugby
I am a qualified Chartered Accountant (ACA) with over 17 years post qualification experience.
I currently work at National Grid, serving in various roles over the last 10 years, with my current role being Senior Finance Business Partner. I have successful experience in risk and project management along with the business acumen you would expect from a Finance professional.
In my current role I am responsible for helping to set the strategic direction, providing commercial insight, improving performance and driving the business forward. These skills I bring to my role as Governor.
I am a Mother of two children and also support small charity as Treasurer, helping those living in poverty in Ecuador.
I became a Governor as I am passionate about giving the best educational foundation to all children.
Dual qualified legal professional and a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales as well as a Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria. I am also an experienced corporate governance professional.
Key skills in:
▪ Strategic and operational governance advice, relationship management and influencing.
▪ Compliance with relevant legal, regulatory requirements and group standards.
▪ Assessing and advising on the impact of legal and regulatory changes on business activities and/or the legal implications of proposed business activities and transactions.
▪ Implementing, monitoring and driving change through learning interventions relating to compliance and governance.
Chartered Institute of Housing
▪ Group Company Secretary and Head of Compliance: Governance, Legal, Risk, Internal Audit and HR Board Director, CIH Canada.
▪ Data Protection Officer.
▪ Responsible for Governance, In-House Legal, Risk, Internal Audit, Regulation and Compliance.
Key achievements in:
Governance Strategy, Corporate Governance Framework, Subsidiary Governance, creation of a corporate contract register, procurement and tenders register, Information Security Framework and Data Protection.
2014 Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales – Admission to the Roll of Solicitors.
2008 – 2009 Post Graduate Diploma in Paralegal Practice – National Association of Licensed Paralegals Level 7 Diplomas – Distinction.
2007 – 2009 Masters in Corporate and Commercial Law – University College London (LLM).
2006 Legal Secretaries & PA’s Diploma – Institute of Legal Secretaries and PA’s.
2001 – 2002 Barrister at Law (BL) – Nigerian Law School, Lagos, Nigeria.
1994 – 2000 Bachelor of Laws (LL. B) – Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria.
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
2017 GDPR | Cyber Security Risk Management Governance in Charities.
2016 Various Enterprise Risk Management |Organizational Risk Culture| Risk Reporting.
2015 Central Law Training (Self -Funded) Board and Committee Servicing for Corporate Secretaries – In House Training| Charities in Financial Difficulties |Strategic Reporting |Contract Law Updates 2015 Annual General Meeting and Other Shareholder Meetings |Whistleblowing.
2015 The Pension Regulator Toolkit for Trustees 2014 (Central Law Training (Self -Funded)) Certificate in Commercial Contract Drafting Drafting Commercial Contracts Certificate in Company Law.
Practice Certificate in Corporate Governance Governance of Charities Annual General Meeting Update.
David has worked for over 35 years in the transport and logistics industry and has held senior leadership roles, Managing Director and CEO, within PLC, private equity backed and not for profit organisations.
He has led several business turnarounds, managed large scale M&A integrations and has successfully developed businesses year on year.
David is now focused on applying his experience in a more support and advisory capacity and brings with him extensive experience in strategic planning, commercial and change management.
David has a Combined Honours degree from the University of Aston in Transport Planning & Operation and Political Studies and is a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).